Friday, September 4, 2009

Subway Encounters - Just Say No Nicely!

I used to be too nice when guys would approach me, whether I found them attractive or not. I felt bad, as though I was bruising the ego of those who actually had the courage to approach me, so I would almost always give a guy at least a chance unless he's a totally unsavory character. But this has gotten really draining for me and sometimes I just don't want to be bothered. Being afraid of being perceived as a bitch was starting to weigh down on me.

So, as usual on a Friday night, I'm walking to the subway when a caramel-skinned cutie with a horribly ugly, over-sized suit on sees me and immediately says, "Hi, beautiful, I love that dress you got on!", to which I responded with a simple "thank you" and immediately walked on the subway and sat down. He followed and asked if he could sit next to me. "Do you mind if I sit next to you, sweetie?" and I replied with a simple and polite, "Yeah."
He obliged and walked away. He didn't get mad. He didn't give me attitude or try to argue with me. He simply walked away and sat down. I mean, he kept staring at me from a distance, but I was okay with that.

It was that simple! This was the dawning of something new for me; I used to be so afraid of hurting feelings that I would normally have said "yes". I even thought this guy was cute, but not my type and certainly not my style. No, I'm not shallow... completely; I like a man who knows how to wear a suit. This guy looked like an 8 year old that audaciously played dress up with his father's suit. Furthermore, I'm not in the mood to meet and get to know some new guy with whom I know I wont share a substantial a connection.

I hope, guys, that you will learn from this not to feel bad when a girl rejects you; she may think you're cute but is just not in the mood. I especially hope that this helps other girls like me gain the courage to say "no" and stop being "too nice to guys" that don't necessarily deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment